A bread slicer is a kitchen gadget that helps cut and slice loaves of bread. This kitchen tool is worth buying for portion-controlled servings and uniform bread slicing. Mainly these machines are used at bakeries and industries for efficient working. An industrial-sized bread slicer can provide up to 500 loaves within one hour. Besides this, home bread slicers are also available to make bread slicing easier for you.
Working principle of bread slicer
The bread slicer works on the principle of the gravity feed system. A bread slicer has 22 parallel cutting blades positioned almost 14.5mm apart from each other. The weight of bread loaves puts pressure on the blades of the machine. These blades have reciprocating movement in an upward and downward direction. Feed chute holds the loaves in place for clean and proper bread cutting.
Step by step guide to using bread slicer
The first thing that you should keep in mind before slicing your bread is the size of the loaf. It would help if you made loaves that must fit into the given brackets of bread slicer. If your loaf size is small or large, you should optimize it for cleaner and finer bread slice cuttings. Follow the given steps to use a bread slicer perfectly.
- Firstly, to avoid slipping the bread loaf from the machine, you have to put a plastic guide or support behind it. For a tray-style cutter, you have to keep your loaf in the middle of the tray. The plastic sheet will help keep the loaf in the right place.
- To ensure the perfect placing of the loaf, you have to push the loaf against the plastic guide. The two guides will keep the loaf in the middle. To avoid compressing loaf, you do not have to put pressure on its top. Be very gentle while dealing with it.
- You have the option to select the size of your bread slices. If you need thicker slices, you can skip one of the two spaces mentioned in your guide. If you need thin slices, then you can change your settings also.
- Feed the machine gently with a loaf, avoid putting too much pressure. Gently press your loaf when you saw the back and forth movement of the bread slicer and cut it with even force.
- Keep your fingers away from the blade for your safety. The cutting blades of bread slicers are very efficient. But you have to track down your cutting size because most of the bread slicers came without a guide.
Buying guide for a bread slicer
A bread slicer is a convenient and efficient tool that helps get even bread slices. You can have perfectly sliced loaves of bread through this fantastic kitchen tool. But before buying any bread slicer for your home, you should check the following features.
- Durability and construction
- Guides to hold the bread
- Size selection for bread slice cutting
- Easy to clean
If you are a bread lover, you will use your bread slicer in your routine. That’s why the selection of the proper bread slicer is mandatory. For home usage, your bread slicer should be efficient and properly functioning. Thus, the features mentioned above are a must to check if you are going to buy a bread slicer for yourself. Try to be within your budget but never compromise on the quality of your tool.
1. How to sharpen the bread slicer blades?
- Set slicer to the manual mode.
- Loosen the sharpener locking pin and rotate your sharpener at 180 degrees.
- Once your sharpener is straightening out, fix it and switch in the plug.
- Press the button presented on the rear side of the sharpener holds it for 15-30 seconds.
2. Is a bread slicer worth it?
The bread slicer is worth buying. It helps in the accurate slicing of loaves of bread, which is otherwise impossible to get. A bread slicer will reduce your effort and efficiently slice bread loaves.
3. What are the two basic types of bread slicers?
The bread slicer machine is of two main types. One is called a band slicer, while the other is a reciprocating slicer. The number of blades, speed, and efficiency vary in both these slicers.