Yes, you can put aluminum takeout containers in the microwave and traditional oven. Aluminum containers are used mainly to microwave certain foods because it protects food from light and air by acting as a barrier. But it’s not as simple as it seems to be; you have to take certain precautions while dealing with aluminum takeout containers in the microwave.
European Aluminum Foil Association conducted a study that supports the above answer. Many chefs prefer using an aluminum container for cooking food in a microwave and traditional ovens because it distributes heat properly and can be reused as long as you like.
Correct Way to Use Aluminum Takeout Containers in Microwave
- If the microwave turntable is of metal, then put a glass or ceramic plate under the aluminum tray.
- The aluminum takeout container must not touch the oven’s walls. It is recommended whenever you use your oven.
- Do not overfill the container. It is recommended to keep the food level at least 3 centimeters below the container top.
- The food must not be too little so that it doesn’t cover its bottom.
- Check food once midway when running the microwave oven for longer times. Mixing the contents (depending on food type) also helps distribute the heat properly.
- Turn off the oven immediately if you see any sparks.
- Remove the aluminum lid before placing the container in the microwave, as the food inside the container must not be covered.
- Do not place cardboard or paper beneath the aluminum tray, as these materials can catch fire when heated.
- Ensure you do not put an aluminum takeout container in for a long time, as it can be damaged by consistently high heat.
- Only one tray must be placed at a time in the microwave oven.
What are Aluminum Takeout Containers?
Aluminum takeout containers are 100% safe to pack foods. These containers are available in different sizes and shapes. You can use them in traditional ovens and microwaves. If you have to store highly salty and acidic food, you can use lacquered aluminum trays. Moreover, aluminum takeout containers are eco-friendly, and they can be recycled as well. So they don’t harm the environment. Aluminum containers provide a 100% gas and water barrier. Moreover, all aluminum trays are 100% recyclable.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you use Mythbusters aluminum foil in the microwave?
You can use Mythbusters aluminum foil only to cover food in a microwave. These foils should not be crumpled, must have clean edges without any spikes. Pointed shape metals can cause an electric spark, so your aluminum foil should not be pointed toward the walls of the oven.
2. Can you heat up food in a foil container?
Foil containers are good conductors of heat, so you can use them to heat food in the oven. A foil container is preferred to heat food because it evenly distributes heat throughout the food. You should be a little cautious while using these containers as they must not touch the walls of the oven; otherwise, they will cause sparks.
3. Why does aluminum foil spark in the microwave?
Microwaves possess electric fields, due to which charges flow through metals. If you put aluminum foil in the microwave and it touches the microwave walls, the electric charges will flow through them. As a result, they will heat up and cause a spark.