The short and straight answer is yes, you can put aluminum takeout containers in the microwave. Aluminum containers are used mainly to microwave certain foods because it protects food from light and air by acting as a barrier. But it’s not as simple as it seems to be; you have to take certain precautions while dealing with aluminum takeout containers in the microwave. Read further for a detailed guide.
What are Aluminum Takeout Containers?
Aluminum takeout containers are 100% safe to pack foods. These containers are available in different sizes and shapes. You can use them in traditional ovens and microwaves also. If you have to store highly salty and acidic food, you can use lacquered aluminum trays. Moreover, aluminum takeout containers are eco-friendly, and they can be recycled as well. So they don’t harm the environment.
Above all, aluminum is sterile and safe to use for direct contact with food. You can use aluminum containers both in industrial and domestic cooking. They provide multi-mode cooking, so you can easily use them in traditional or modern microwave ovens.
Are Aluminum Takeout Containers Microwave Safe?
Aluminum takeout containers are microwaving-safe. According to European Aluminium Foil Association study, it’s completely safe to put aluminum containers in the microwave. These containers act as a barrier to protect food from light and air. Hence, they are perfect for preserving food as well. Apart from microwaves, you can also use these containers to store food in refrigerators.
Chefs prefer using an aluminum container for cooking foods in the oven because aluminum distributes heat homogeneously. There isn’t any risk of cracking and melting the container so you can place it in the oven without hesitation.
Correct Way to Use Aluminum Takeout Containers in Microwave
It’s necessary to follow the right protocol to use an aluminum tray in the microwave for even cooking and to avoid any accidents.
- If the microwave turntable is of metal, then put the glass or ceramic plate under the aluminum tray.
- You have to put the aluminum takeout container in the center of the microwave so that it should not touch the oven’s walls.
- Avoid overfilling the container. It would be best to be shallow for at least 3cm.
- Food in the container should cover its bottom.
- If you have to microwave the container for longer, then it’s better to check at least once by turning it off.
- If you see any sparks, you must immediately turn off the oven.
Things to Consider Before Putting Aluminum Takeout Container in Microwave
Although aluminum takeout containers are microwave safe, there should still be some safety precautions to avoid accidents and damage. Please read the following guidelines before using an aluminum takeout container in the oven.
- There should be no direct contact between two metals, so if the microwave turntable is made of metal, you should put a ceramic or glass plate between the aluminum container and the turntable.
- Try to place the aluminum container in the center so it will not touch the walls of the container. Otherwise, it can cause some sparks.
- Also, consider removing the aluminum lid before placing the container in the microwave, as the food inside the container shouldn’t be covered.
- Avoid using cardboard or paper beneath the aluminum tray, as they can catch fire after heating.
- You should avoid putting these containers for a long time in the oven as consistent high heat for a prolonged period can cause some damage.
- The bottom of the container should be completely covered with food, but the container should be shallow for at least 3cm for safety purposes.
Frequeently Asked Questions
1. Can you use Mythbusters aluminum foil in the microwave?
You can use Mythbusters aluminum foil only to cover food in a microwave. These foils should not be crumpled, must have clean edges without any spikes. Pointed shape metals can cause an electric spark, so your aluminum foil should not be pointed toward the walls of the oven.
2. Can you heat up food in a foil container?
Foil containers are good conductors of heat, so you can use them to heat food in the oven. A foil container is preferred to heat food because it evenly distributes heat throughout the food. You should be a little cautious while using these containers as they must not touch the walls of the oven; otherwise, they will cause sparks.
3. Why does aluminum foil spark in the microwave?
Microwaves possess electric fields, due to which charges flow through metals. If you put aluminum foil in the microwave and it touches the microwave walls, the electric charges will flow through them. As a result, they will heat up and causes a spark.