Yes, you can bake in the microwave. Although microwave ovens are not the first choice for baking, they can still be used for simple baking. For example, you can bake a cake in a microwave oven, which will be perfect for your evening tea or even for any family gathering. In this article, I will describe the detailed method of baking cake in the microwave. Please read the guide till the end to get answers to your most asked queries.
Utensils and Ingredients for Baking Cake in Microwave Oven
Microwave ovens are not made for baking, but you can still use them for baking cakes. If you don’t have a convection microwave oven and have to bake a cake in a simple microwave, you will only require a microwave-safe glass container for baking.
Please avoid using the aluminum stand when baking in a simple microwave oven. You just have to place the glass bowl on the revolving plate of the microwave for baking. You will also require a suitable stirrer or electric hand blender and a sieve for ingredient mixing. Ingredients for the cake baking recipe are given below.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
How to Bake a Cake in Microwave Oven?
You need to follow to below-mentioned steps to bake a cake in a microwave oven.
- Take a medium microwave-safe bowl, spray it with a non-stick spray, and set it aside for a while.
- In a separate mixing bowl, take sugar, butter, egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Blend all these ingredients well with a stirrer or electric hand blender.
- Sieve flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder into the blended mixture and blend them all well. Blend the whole mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into the greased bowl.
- Microwave this bowl at a high temperature of around 180 degrees for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the microwave and check the baked cake with a toothpick. If it is dry, then your cake is ready.
- You can change bake timings according to your batter quantity and consistency. But never bake a cake in the microwave for more than 7 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for at least 5 minutes after turning off the microwave, and carefully remove it from the oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can we bake cookies and cake in a microwave oven without convection?
Yes, it is possible to bake cookies and cakes in a non-convection microwave. Your batter may not rise as good as it could be in a convection microwave, but still, you can bake cookies and cakes in the microwave quite easily.
2. Can I bake cornbread in a microwave convection oven?
You can use a microwave convection oven for baking cornbread. You have to preset the convection oven to 375 for 20 minutes. Timings can vary as per your mixture’s quantity and convection oven wattage.
3. How much time does it take to bake a cake in a convection microwave?
Convection microwave takes a little longer to bake a cake than a simple microwave oven. It takes 30 minutes for the cake to be baked at 180 degrees temperature.
4. Can I bake macarons in a microwave oven?
You can bake macarons in a convection microwave oven. Set the convection microwave oven at 160°C for 25 minutes to bake macarons.
5. Can I bake bread in a microwave oven?
Yes, you can use a microwave oven for baking bread. Before baking bread in the microwave, you should set the optimum temperature and timer so that your bread cannot get over-baked or under-baked.
6. What is the optimum temperature for baking cake in a microwave oven?
180-degree centigrade is the optimum temperature for baking cake in a microwave oven. You can increase or decrease the temperature as per your cake’s better quantity and your microwave’s wattage.
7. Can I bake brownies in a microwave oven?
It’s more accurate to say heating up brownie batter than baking it in a microwave oven. In a microwave, you can heat brownie batter for around 60 seconds. While in a convection oven, you can bake brownies better than in a microwave.
8. Can I bake pizza in a microwave oven?
You can make pizza in a convection microwave oven. Preheat the oven by setting convection mode at 180°C. Use a microwave-safe container for pizza baking in the oven.