Some flavors are a match made in heaven. Think of sticky rice with mango, or cantaloupe and prosciutto. Whenever I have cantaloupe, I always want a slice or two of prosciutto with it. The salty prosciutto perfectly balances the sweetness of the melon, and it’s such a perfect combination of flavors that can hardly be improved upon. Or so I thought.
The classic ham/melon pairing gets seriously dressed up in this wonderfully refreshing salad, which makes an elegant appetizer or a light lunch on a hot summer day. For a new twist, I used Tyrolean Speck instead of prosciutto, which has a more rustic and smoky aroma than its Italian cousin. There’s also the mellow taste of mozzarella, while mint and basil add little bursts of summer flavor throughout the salad. For a nice crunch, the salad is topped with lemon and parmesan croutons and dressed with a lovely olive oil and balsamic vinegar marinade. If you can’t find lamb’s ear lettuce, substitute with arugula. If unavailable, use prosciutto instead of Tyrolean Speck.
Cantaloupe Salad With Parmesan Croutons (serves 4)
For the croutons:
- 90g baguette, cut into small cubes
- 30g grated parmesan cheese
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- finely grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1/4 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 Cantaloupe, cut into thin slices
- 12 thin slices Tyrolean Speck
- 250g mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- lamb’s ear lettuce or arugula
- handful of mint leaves
- handful of basil leaves
1. In a bowl, mix bread cubes, parmesan, oil, lemon zest, and salt to taste.
2. Sautee coated bread cubes in a pan over high heat until crunchy and golden.
3. Set aside and let cool.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for the dressing.
5. Cut melon into small wedges.
6. Arrange lettuce on plates, and top with melon, mozzarella, and Speck.
7. Drizzle dressing over salad right before serving.